Career Opportunities at Jumpstart
Program Assistant (Vancouver)
Application deadline: None, position will be posted until filled.
Are you frustrated with what’s happening in the world? Do you feel excluded and powerless to drive a real change? We are! But we are doing something about it. Do you want to join?
If you are you under 30 and looking for meaningful work experience, you can be a part of our national team who supports newly settled refugees in Canada. Jumpstart Refugee Talent is looked to add Program Assistants to our Vancouver Office. This is employment opportunity can lead you on a path to a meaningful career. Become part of a national team who strive every day to economically empower refugees in Canada.
Jumpstart Refugee Talent is a refugee led non-profit organization with offices in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary and the only national organization exclusively serving refugees seeking meaningful economic opportunities. Founded in 2016, we focus on the economic empowerment of newly settled refugees in Canada by facilitating meaningful employment and entrepreneurial opportunities.
About the Job
Jumpstart is looking for a Program Assistant to support refugee clients seeking employment related programs and services. We are looking for an energetic, driven, and passionate self-starter with an interest in working with vulnerable communities in a program/project/operations coordination role.
- Be between 18 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
- Resident of the Greater Vancouver area/Lower Mainland
- A Canadian citizen, or permanent resident or a protected person as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada and according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
Reporting to Jumpstart’s Senior Manager, Programs & Strategy who works out of Toronto, you will work to support the operations of Jumpstart across one or several functions. Jumpstart will work with potential candidates to customize a role based on their interests and experience, and ambitions.
Responsibilities may include:
- Work with clients to deliver pre-employment and employment supports to improve their employability and secure meaningful employment. This can include client intake, resume building, mentorship, skills training, and employment support.
- Support our outreach efforts to ensure participation of refugee jobseekers in programs, skill building workshops and story sharing events.
- Supporting our Communications by developing, managing and delivering content across multiple communications channels
- Leverage our various cloud-based technologies and social media platform
- Minimum 1+ years’ experience in a program/project coordination role
- Pursuing or completed post-secondary studies
- A self-starter who requires minimal supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Passion and motivation to gain meaningful experience in our field of work
What We Offer
- The opportunity to have an impact in a fast-growing organization serving vulnerable communities
- Meaningful learning opportunities and work experience
- 12-week employment contract, fulltime 30-hour work week, at $17/hour. Compensation negotiable for more experienced candidates.
- All virtual communication solutions provided (Zoom, Microsoft Office, Salesforce, etc.)
- Ability to work remotely or from one of our shared office environments in Vancouver/Burnaby
- Opportunity for a full time equivalent (FTE) position, if funding permits
Jumpstart is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Refugees are especially encouraged to apply.
Send your resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and write Program Assistant in the email subject. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Any applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Canada Summer Jobs Program
Jumpstart offers summer work placements to support youth looking to gain meaningful experience. Positions are typically offered in Toronto, Vancouver, and Calgary. This program is open to youth aged 18-30 who are looking for summer employment or entry level positions to enter the workforce. In the past, we have offered several of our participants continued employment after their summer work term.
Summer placements for 2022 have been filled.
Resume Specialist (Canada)
Application deadline: Positions posted until filled.
Are you frustrated with what’s happening in the world? Do you want to do something about it? Join Jumpstart’s national team to support newly settled refugees in Canada. Jumpstart Refugee Talent is looked to add 2 Resume Specialists to our National Team.
Jumpstart Refugee Talent is a refugee led non-profit organization with offices in Toronto, Kitchener, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary and the only national organization exclusively serving refugees seeking meaningful economic opportunities. Founded in 2016, we focus on the economic empowerment of newly settled refugees in Canada by facilitating meaningful employment and entrepreneurial opportunities.
About the Volunteer Role
Jumpstart is looking for 2 Resume Specialists to support refugee clients in re-writing their resumes so they are employer-friendly and in the North American standard. Resumes are critically important in a refugee’s career journey. They ensure a refugee’s expertise is well communicated to employers, making it less likely they are screened out and more likely they will be considered for meaningful employment opportunities.
Our team has rewritten 500+ resumes, however with hundreds of refugees arriving from Afghanistan in 2022 we need your support! We provide our volunteers with everything they need to work with clients one-on-one to rebuild their resumes:
- a proven resume building methodology
- an online resume builder tool
- a Jumpstart email and phone number (to safeguard your privacy)
- we pre-schedule appointments with refugee clients for you
- a dedicated staff person to support your work
Volunteer commitments :
- 3 month commitment
- 3-5 hours a week (lunch or evening hours)
- Meeting with refugees virtually (1hr interviews) to rewrite their resumes.
- Have a business or human resources background
- Exceptional listening and writing skills
- Passionate to change the world one person at a time
Email us your resume, LinkedIn profile and a brief description of why you want to volunteer to email@example.com Please make sure to include Resume Specialist in the email subject.